Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Popularity of Hell: A Case for Video Games in Education

 I have no idea why Dante's Inferno is so appealing to students.  But, of all the great texts I teach, this is the one where kids will sit up and pay attention.

The EA video game, Dante's Inferno, is surprisingly good and has a lot of accuracy.  Only a few students have played it, but they were able to answer a lot of questions about the text because they had played the game.

The idea that games can add to education is not new, but there are still plenty of folk who nay say.  If Dante can be a small example, the kids that do the worst seemed to know the most because they had played the game.

I truly wish they would come out with a Facebook game called "The Canterbury Tales."  If they are slightly more daring, they might do a whole Shakespeare series.

Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will check it out, and if you are not a spammer, I will post your comment!