Monday, February 6, 2012

Learning about Frustration via Facebook and Build Chatter

Wow.  I thought I had found an easy way to make apps for Facebook.  This is what I wanted to learn today after spending most of the day trying to re-recover from some wierdo virus that, literally, the kids dragged in...

So, after I woke from my troubled slumber, I set down to learn to code.  It just so happens that my buddies over at MakeUseOf did a little ditty about a program called Build Chatter today, and, thus, I thought I could forego the hand coding.  Let me set down my biases from the start.

First, I have been a MakeUseOf  fan from their earliest days.  For a brief little stint, I wrote some articles for them, but then got caught up in changing jobs and moving 18 hours away.  In any case, I am loyal to them; I adore them.  I am especially fond of Editor and Doctor, Jackson Chung and his Daily Buggle.  So, because I know how hard the MUO team (and, especially, the editor, Mark) work to make incredible posts, I know that I can trust what I find there.

So.  There.  Their recommendation of software is one I take to heart.  I trust them.  Since I wanted to learn how to make apps for Fb anyway, I was sure happy to find their post on a day when hand coding would have made me blind.

So, I made an account at Build Chatter and made a quiz app on Chaucer's Prologue to the Canterbury Tales.  10 sweet questions.  True/False and glorious.  Giddy with excitement!  Stoked!  Well, a little sick, still, but raising tissues like pom poms through the house on the way to the loo.

But, bahhhh,

When I went to submit the app, the haters inside my computer told me that I first needed to make a Facebook Page.  Bah.  I wish Build Chatter would have told them that from the start.  So, I went and did that, invited just a few friends that know me well and will rightfully tell me what is crap and what is useful, and then I went back to publish the app and it was gone, gone, gone.  There is no way to save it.

Bah.

Started over...made another quiz.  Published it to the newly minted page.  URL would not work.  I tried it in three different browsers.  It would not work in any one of them.

Bah.

I tried various combinations, and, alas, no luck. I should have just coded it by hand.

So, I do not have a shiny new app to share with you, BUT, I have a lovely new Facebook Page (click that bad boy LIKE button up there).

What did I learn?  Well, for starters, I learned that it is pretty easy to make a LIKE page in Fb.  I learned that coding by hand is better than using a service that was probably reliable when MUO wrote about it but is not stable now. Finally, I learned that Mucinex works better than Alka-Cold Plus.

Image Source

1 comment:

  1. Your graphic summarizes this perfectly!
    Also, Mucinex is the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I will check it out, and if you are not a spammer, I will post your comment!