Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's So Special About Pinterest?

First of all, let me just say it up front...I am not part of the club.  I have not received my invite from Pinterest, and, yeah, I am pretty annoyed.


While everyone is off pinning stuff all over the live long place, I am stuck on the sidelines, and, yeah, that doesn't make me really like the tool from the get go.


So, now that you have the bias and residual irritation (my students would say, "Oh Lordy...she is giving us THAT LOOK"), let's answer this question...


What on earth is so flippin special about Pinterest?????


Well, according to the site, it is an online pinboard.  Aren't there like 4 billions others?  Sure, their pinboards are pretty, but give me Diigo any day.  Stixy is another great resource for those who want to slap virtual sticky notes into the cybersphere. Wallwisher is another great site, too.


So, why the big ta-do over Pinterest?


Well, they made a button...a simple, cute, catchy button.  That little button makes sharing so much easier.  Well, except when you can't have a button because you can't have an account because you are on some strange deep space 9 waiting list.


Socialmouths did a great story about Pinterest and has updated the stats on the growing popularity of the tool.  According to their site, "Update Feb 8: ComScore announces Pinterest just became the fastest standalone website EVER with 10 million Monthly Unique Visit, only in the US."


So...are all these other people getting invites to the cool kids party while I sit alone at home with my dancing shoes gathering dust???

Pinterest is growing, in my little opinion, because it is something new, and those of us that love new tools are eager for new meat...we have been chewing on the wonders of Voice Thread for too long.  WE NEED SOMETHING NEW.  So, for this week, it is Pinterest...but if they keep shutting out enthusiastic folks like me, we will all move on to a newer cooler tool the minute it is released (um, to ALL of us).

What did I learn today?  If you make a cool new tool, let all the kids play.  No one wants to be the 11th player on the team.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will check it out, and if you are not a spammer, I will post your comment!