Sunday, February 12, 2012

Surviving the #Grammys

I don't think I have ever watched any award show for movies, TV, Music or anything like that.  I've watched performers on these shows, but only because someone called me to the room.

I broke with tradition because one of my favorite bands, Mumford and Sons, was up for an award or two against another band I like - the Foo Fighters. Plus, Foster the People were playing as was Adele.  So, I thought I could make it through.

Nope.

Before you start thinking I am an awful brand of hater, stop.  Hear me out.

How can anyone possibly compare the music of Mumford and Sons to the Foo Fighters???  They are both amazing.  The band members seem like real dudes.  I loved the speech from the Foo Fighters about where art and music come from (the heart and mind) and not a fancy studio.  They made their music in the garage - old school.  So, I am glad they were awarded, but I also wanted to give an award to Mumford and Sons, too, because they are also amazing, homespun, and awesome.

How can we compare Adele to anyone?  She is just amazing.

The new brand of musicians is not at all about glitz and glam.  They seem all down to earth and into the craft of music.  Now, that probably doesn't apply to folks like Rhianna, whom I also like to sing along to in the school van with the students, but my kind of music - rock, hard rock, metal...they don't seem to be about the show and tell of it all.

Really, all of them are amazing.  How can you give an award to one person when they are all simply divine?  So, that leads me to believe that the winners are somehow politically selected.  Even in grade schools, winners are always a political decision.  I hate that.  My kids have won awards, and I always feel sorry for the kids that don't win.  Of course, my boys are brilliant and should win every award, but every parent feels that way...so I feel bad for the other parents.

I do, however, like to see the dresses.  For as much as a non-frufru person as i am, I do think getting decked out for an event like the Grammys is OK.  Sorry, guys, but y'all look the same...a tux is a tux.  My vote for the boys goes to the Foo Fighters because they wore tee shirts.  But, I do like to see the girls all dressed up.  I would only ever want to go to the awards so I could get all sorts of gussied up, too.  But, seeing as there are no pending invitations on my dance card, I will have to live vicariously through the celebrities.

Rhianna, by far, was the most beautiful.  I loved her dress, and I loved that her hair wasn't all pasted into a geometric design.  Since I have big curly hair, I love all women with big curly hair, and so, I loved the look of Diana Ross.

Nicki Manaj looked like crap in that red dress.  Sorry, honey, only Lady Gaga can get away with something like that.  I expected more from Gaga, though.  Since she did meat, she should have done fish or chicken or maybe brussels sprouts.  I think she is a brilliant woman - a 21st century Madonna - and I do love to see what kind of outfit she has going on.  But, Nicki?  Nah.

Adele is simply gorgeous.  She wore exactly what I expected.  I love how she is all about the music.


Taylor Swift looked simply gorgeous, as well.  I loved the color of her gown, and her look was simply elegant.

I loved Cyndi Lauper's look.  It was totally a throw back to the 80s, and it was amazing for her.  She looks fantastic.  Well, ok, the big ole gold chain at her hip was little much, but I liked the hair and the bodice.

Robyn looked stupid.  I don't even know who she is, actually, but, hell, I could have put together something better than that, and I think flannel is the new satin.  You are at the GRAMMYS for pete's sake...wear something other than what you wore to bed last night.

Kelly Osborne looked stunning.  I even liked her hair colour.  I am not a fan of ink, and I always think people place ink in the dumbest places.  If anything was wrong with her look, it is that her tattoos are in dumb places.

So, I think that was everyone I saw in the pre-game line up.  There were a bunch of people I never heard of before, and most of them looked fantabulous.  One or two looked like they were trying too hard.

So my thoughts are that when they have the awards for "Best Classical Literature put into Screen Play Format" and I win for my Dante's Inferno rendition, I will probably wear something mauve.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will check it out, and if you are not a spammer, I will post your comment!